add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?)
Date
In response to Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 3:16 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 6:50 AM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks!  I have three comments on this version.
> >
> > Thanks for your review.
> >
> > > - I still think "acquire/release" logs on creation/dropping should be
> > >   silenced.  Adding the third parameter to ReplicationSlotAcquire()
> > >   that can mute the acquiring (and as well as the corresponding
> > >   releasing) log will work.
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > > can piggy-back on log_replication_commands for the purpose, changing
> > > its meaning slightly to "log replication commands and related
> > > activity".
> > > - Need to mute the logs by log_replication_commands.  (We could add
> > >   another choice for the variable for this purpose but I think we
> > >   don't need it.)
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > > - The messages are not translatable as the variable parts are
> > >   adjectives. They need to consist of static sentences.  The
> > >   combinations of the two properties are 6 (note that persistence is
> > >   tristate) but I don't think we accept that complexity for the
> > >   information.  So I recommend to just remove the variable parts from
> > >   the messages.
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > Here's v3, please review it further.
>
> Here's the rebased v4 patch.