Re: pgsql: Use the terminology "WAL file" not "log file" more consistently. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: pgsql: Use the terminology "WAL file" not "log file" more consistently.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2022-Sep-15, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Yeah, the lowest-tech solution is to accept either spelling of
> > the description string.  But I'm not very happy with the whole
> > approach right now.  We should have an implementation that isn't
> > dependent on how user-friendly strings are spelled.
>
> We already discussed this, a mere 12 years ago,
> https://postgr.es/m/1283373680-sup-9235@alvh.no-ip.org
> for exactly the same reason.
>
> Let's just do it?

Thanks for pointing it out. It seems like a good idea IMO. I think
pg_resetwal also needs the --machine approach. As --machine approach
needs a good amount of refactoring and discussion, I still think we
can make buildfarm happy by fixing a proposed solution [1]. Perhaps,
we can start a new thread for --machine approach.

Thoughts?

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALj2ACVKH2v5s_qFDd9YxPhmRKL%2BOC4ukUdWaD3t1MWV5W7ZLA%40mail.gmail.com

--
Bharath Rupireddy