Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.
Date
Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.  (Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 3:15 AM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:

> Add new predefined role pg_maintenance, which can issue VACUUM,
> ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.
>
> Patch attached.

At this point, the idea of having a new role for maintenance work
looks good. With this patch and Mark Dilger's patch introducing a
bunch of new predefined roles, one concern is that we might reach to a
state where we will have patches being proposed for new predefined
roles for every database activity and the superuser eventually will
have nothing to do in the database, it just becomes dummy?

I'm not sure if Mark Dilger's patch on new predefined roles has a
suitable/same role that we can use here.

Are there any other database activities that fall under the
"maintenance" category? How about CLUSTER, REINDEX? I didn't check the
code for their permissions.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.