Re: postgresql recommendation memory - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sergey Konoplev
Subject Re: postgresql recommendation memory
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> well you can hopefully reduce connections from jdbc pooling then. The
> fact that the connections are idle is good.
>
> The problem you run into is what happens when things go into
> "overload" I.e. when the db server starts to slow down, more of those
> idle connections become not idle. If all 300 are then waiting on the
> db server, it will slow to a crawl and eventually fall over.

+1.

Try to monitor your connections, for example like this

while true; do
echo -n "$(date): "
psql -XAt -c "select count(1) from pg_stat_activity"
sleep 1
done > activity.log

and its correlation with slowdowns.

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
+1 (415) 867-9984, +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
gray.ru@gmail.com