Re: [BUGS] BUG #14703: documentation bug: - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Adam Sah
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14703: documentation bug:
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Sorry to conflate RDS, I just meant it as evidence of plv8 being mainstream, NOT that pg docs should mention AWS in any way, which of course is inappropriate.

Sorry for the confusion!

Adam

(via cellphone, random spelling ahead)

On Jun 12, 2017 6:18 PM, "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amazon RDS docs mentioning plv8 support:
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/CHAP_PostgreSQL.html
>
> This is important for business approvers signing off on using Postgres, who
> expect to see Javascript support, and need more 'social proof' than Amazon
> AWS documentation.

But there is no way to be sure if the version shipped with RDS has
been modified or not, or if there are restrictions applying to it so
it is hard to believe that the *actual* upstream code is supported and
if that's what is being used or not. The core Postgres engine has for
example a set of custom patches applied on top of it.

I'm not sure how to interpret this followup...the original point being made is that we seem to have a documentation oversight and someone wanting to point out to non-technical people that PostgreSQL supports the pl/v8 language would not be able to point to this section of our documentation in order to do so.

The secondary reasoning is a bit circular since non-techies probably don't care too much about the fact that Amazon runs its own fork for RDS purposes - and at the same time those same people wouldn't take Amazon's support for pl/v8 to mean the underlying project supports it?

In any case I haven't seen any posts to general or hackers that would cause me to question the validity of adding it to our documentation listing.

David J.