Re: Problem with aborting entire transactions on error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zbigniew
Subject Re: Problem with aborting entire transactions on error
Date
List pgsql-general
2012/12/10, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@mail.com>:

> Could an option like this be added to the server? Probably. Has
> anyone worked on such a feature? Not that I know of. Would such a
> feature be accepted if written? I think a better case would need to
> be made for its value compared to the added code complexity and
> maintenance burden than has been made so far. Since this is
> primarily of interest for bulk loads and interactive work, and
> there are already solutions for both of those, it would probably be
> seen as not worth its weight.

Thanks for detailed explanation. From what I see, it's rather not
going to happen.

> It's only by careful gatekeeping that the source code has been kept
> manageable. A quick count shows that there are 1,167,732 lines of
> code, counting only *.c and *.h files. Every added line has a
> maintenance cost.

I agree - but, on the other hand, every added line of code in the
software of the users (programmers using PG) has its maintenance cost
too. And it has to be multiplied by the number of the users, then
again: by the number of the users of their software...
--
regards,
Zbigniew