Re: PostgreSQL upgrade 9.3.4 -> 9.3.10 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dev Kumkar
Subject Re: PostgreSQL upgrade 9.3.4 -> 9.3.10
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 3:25 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 1/12/2016 1:28 AM, Dev Kumkar wrote:

I want to upgrade my database from version 9.3.4 to 9.3.10.

For this task, do I need to upgrade database using pg_upgrade utility?

From the details it looks like for minor version upgrade pg_upgrade utility is not required.
"pg_upgrade (formerly called pg_migrator) allows data stored in PostgreSQL data files to be upgraded to a later PostgreSQL major version without the data dump/reload typically required for major version upgrades, e.g. from 8.4.7 to the current major release of PostgreSQL. It is not required for minor version upgrades, e.g. from 9.0.1 to 9.0.4."

Can someone please provide more details here and also what steps needs to be done to upgrade to 9.3.10 level?

you can do an inplace upgrade of the software, as others said, pg_upgrade is for upgrading from 9.X to 9.Y where Y>X

however, its always a good idea to check the release notes of the version you're upgrading to, and seeing if there are any special issues, for instance, sometimes there's a potential bug in an obscure feature in said A.B.C version, and upgrading to A.B.D might require a reindex or something.    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-9-3-10.html

I don't see anything specifically for 9.3.4 to 9.3.10 but read it for yourself, following the links to the applicable intermediate release notes.
.

Thanks everyone for your quick comments, appreciate it !

Yes nothing specifically mentioned for 9.3.4 to 9.3.10

Regards...