Re: UTF-8 collation on Windows? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dev Kumkar
Subject Re: UTF-8 collation on Windows?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:17 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 2/19/2014 1:35 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

Unfortunately this is a Windows install and that does not work either.

windows encodings are a pain.   their Unicode is NOT utf8, its ucs2 aka utf16.   I just checked my default install of potsgres 9.2, it appears its using WIN1252 encoding, another bastard, this is a modified ISO-8859-1

Yes I guess that will be a different topic altogether to discuss. As windows internally uses UTF-16 encoding. I have one use case wherein will have to change the client_encoding in ODBC so that Unicode characters on windows are stored correctly. Currently on linux machine same unicode data is stored correctly but in case of windows it is not by default, so there are tweaks there required as well. But separate topic later.

Coming back here, yes by default it is WIN1252 on windows. So is there no way I could achieve linux alike utf-8 collation?
Linux and windows sorting order behaves differently in this case.

Regards...