Re: How to turnoff autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Oleksandr Mazyar
Subject Re: How to turnoff autovacuum
Date
Re: How to turnoff autovacuum  (Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-admin
What is it aurovacuum?

сб, 12 дек. 2020 г., 17:42 Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>:

Keith <keith@keithf4.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 12:31 AM mark armon <1994hejian@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Just follow the tutorial. In the tutorial I need to set the autovacuum
>> off.
>> Here is how I set the autovacuum off.
>>
>>    1. Locate the postgresql.conf.
>>    2. edit the postgresql.conf using notepad. As the picture attached.
>>    Previously it's *on *now it's *off. *
>>    3. close and save postgresql.conf then open *service-msc*
>>    4. restart  the postgresql service.
>>    5. open psql type: *show autovacuum; *
>>
>> *But the result is ON. *
>>
>> So that's my knowledge about  how to set the parameters. But it failed. So
>> please tell me how to set the autovacuum off.
>> [image: image.png]
>>

> I have to ask the question, why are you turning autovacuum off?  You do
> realize the consequences of doing so and are taking the necessary
> precautions of managing vacuuming yourself if you do so, correct?

From what the OP wrote, he is following a tutorial, so I would assume
learning about Postgres. I would argue it is a poor example for the
tutorial to use if all they want to demonstrate is altering the postgres
configuration, but without the full context from the tutorial, it is
difficult to know. If the tutorial wanted to demonstrate how to disable
autovacuum, a far better example would be to show how to disable it on a
specific table as just showing how to disable it globally is a very
dangerous lesson to teach.

--
Tim Cross