Interested in contributing to PostgreSQL through GSoC 2013 - Mailing list pgsql-students

From Anirudh Raja
Subject Interested in contributing to PostgreSQL through GSoC 2013
Date
List pgsql-students
Hi !

I'm Anirudh V Raja doing my 2nd year Engineering in NITK, India. I would like to contribute to PostgreSQL through a project in GSoC 2013 .

First up, I would like to say , I'm a big fan of SQL and especially PostgreSQL ever since I used it in my J2EE project. Thanks a ton for giving such an amazing sopen source database !

I went through the development wiki and the discussion that has taken place on the mailing list so far. Very happy to see lot of good ideas coming up.Looking forward to that :)

I am interested in Mr. David Fetter's idea about - Returning to DDL . I sent him a mail conveying my interest and ideas. He advised me to continue the conversation on the mailing list . So, Mr. David Fetter , could you please describe the project in a little more detailed manner. It would be easier for me to comprehend the idea and formulate a better picture and understanding .

Also, I had an informal chat with Mr. Atri Sharma who helped me out , getting familiar to Open Source, setting up PostgreSQL source code on my PC and also suggesting a few possible project ideas . I liked the idea of implementing a few MADLib's into PostgreSQL . I was particularly interested in Random Sampling , Probability , Most Frequent Functions and array operations . I just went through their wiki and feel these functions could be beneficial to the users . However, I'd like to receive help on its feasibility , the nature of coding required and the idea of implementing these libraries as a whole.

Kindly guide me regarding the two above ideas.

Regards,
--
Anirudh V Raja
2nd Year U.G.