Re: pg_dump and not MVCC-safe commands - Mailing list pgsql-general

From PetSerAl
Subject Re: pg_dump and not MVCC-safe commands
Date
List pgsql-general
> However, it would be the very same
> database state that any other query would see at that time.
Other queries can use different techniques to prevent this. For
example, lock tables before snapshot, as recommended in documentation.
I understand, that pg_dump can not use that, as it need snapshot to
enumerate tables to lock.

> then you brought
> that on your own head by using TRUNCATE concurrently with other
> operations.
People, who admins database servers, are not always the same people,
who write application/queries. That means, if you know nothing about
application, you can not guarantee, if live database backup would be
consistent. Basically, you need application cooperation to make
consistent live database backup.