Re: Replication between 64/32bit systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Replication between 64/32bit systems?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/11 1:35 PM, Hannes Erven wrote:
>>
>> I'm still hoping someone would give me a clue why 32/64 bit platform
>> xlogs are (and always will?) be absolutely incompatible... ???
>
> because the tuple representations are different, plain and simple.
>
> you can run a 32bit Postgres on your 64bit platform.

Also even if you somehow manage to tweak it to the point where it works it is:
1)  Untested/unsupported (you are on your own!) and
2)  Not guaranteed to continue to work.

Really, IMO if replication is important enough to do, it's important
enough to stick with supported environments.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers