Re: Code of Conduct - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Code of Conduct
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:31 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:24:29AM +1000, Julian Paul wrote:
> It's overly long and convoluted.
>
> "inclusivity" Is a ideologue buzzword of particular individuals that offer
> very little value apart from excessive policing of speech and behaviour
> assumed to be a problem where none exist.
>
> "Personal attacks and negative comments on personal characteristics are
> unacceptable, and will not be permitted. Examples of personal
> characteristics include, but are not limited to age, race, national origin
> or ancestry, religion, gender, or sexual orientation."
>
> So just leaving it at "Personal attacks" and ending it there won't do
> obviously. I'm a big advocate of people sorting out there own personal
> disputes in private but...
>
> "further personal attacks (public or *private*);"
>
> ...lets assume people don't have the maturity for that and make it all
> public.
>
> "may be considered offensive by fellow members" - Purely subjective and
> irrelevant to a piece of community software.

You might notice that a bullet list was removed and those example items
were added 18 months ago:

        https://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Code_of_Conduct&diff=31924&oldid=29402

I realize that putting no examples has its attractions, but some felt
that having examples would be helpful.  I am not a big fan of the
"protected groups" concept because it is often exploited, which is why
they are listed more as examples.

I suspect most of us could probably get behind the groups listed in the antidiscrimination section of the European Charter of Fundamental Rights at least as a compromise.

Quoting the  English version:

"Any discrimination based on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation shall be prohibited."

The inclusion of "political or any other opinion" is a nice addition and prevents a lot of concern.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.