Re: IDPUG Registration on PostgreSQL Website - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lucky Haryadi
Subject Re: IDPUG Registration on PostgreSQL Website
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Stephen, Jonathan,

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Jonathan, Lucky,

* Jonathan S. Katz (jkatz@postgresql.org) wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 2017, at 8:17 PM, Lucky Haryadi <lucky@equnix.asia> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:
> >> On Dec 28, 2017, at 11:34 PM, Lucky Haryadi <lucky@equnix.asia <mailto:lucky@equnix.asia>> wrote:
> >> I would like to inform that Indonesia has already had a PostgreSQL User Group, called IDPUG.
> >> We already have 4 community events, held since 2016, as you can see on our Meetup website
> >>
> >> https://www.meetup.com/Indonesia-PostgreSQL/ <https://www.meetup.com/Indonesia-PostgreSQL/>
> >>
> >> Most of people in IDPUG are enterprises users, implementors, students, and developers who use PostgreSQL in Indonesia.
> >> We want to register IDPUG to postgresql.org <http://postgresql.org/> website for Local User Group.
> >> Please tell us if there are some requirements to be fulfilled to register the user group.
> >
> > That is exciting news! I have added IDPUG to the user groups [https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/ <https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/>] page.
> >

> > Thank you for attaching IDPUG on the website :)
> > And we would like to update the website link to be directed to www.postgresql.or.id <http://www.postgresql.or.id/>.
>
> I looked at this page and it looks more like a sales portal than a user group community page.  While it does contain some compelling facts about PostgreSQL and has some very good reasons to use it, there are a few things that do not appear to adhere to the spirit of the community:
>
>       * It is unclear that this is a site for IDPUG - IDPUG is not even mentioned until the footer of the page, which takes awhile to scroll to

The first link is to .Org and the second link is to meetup.com for the
IDPUG, so I'm not sure it's quite that bad.

>       * There is very strong marketing copy at the bottom soliciting user info to connect to a sales team, i.e. “Get a quotation”

I tend to agree that this isn't really appropriate for a PUG listing.

I see, thanks for you input. We indeed intend to update the website to have more "community-friendly" contents.
It's okay with the Meetup website for now. When we done with content update of the website, then I'll try to re-submit again.

> I’m happy for someone to chime in and disagree with me, but I would not feel comfortable linking to this website from .org

Linking to the meetup.com page, as you've done, seems like the right
approach to me for now.  Ideally, the webite at
http://www.postgresql.or.id/ would be updated to be clearly more
independent and in-line with the expectations of sites linked from
.Org under the 'International Sites' section in the future, at which
time it would make sense to add it there.

Sure, got the main idea, will try to resubmit it later. Thanks for the input, Stephen :)

As discussed previously here, we should work to formalize just what
those expectations are through a policy of some kind for international
PostgreSQL sites, as we've started to now do for conferences and formal
NPOs.

To be clear, I agree with your overall assessment, as things stand
today, Jonathan.  At the same time, I do feel that Lucky and company
have made a reasonably good effort to get things moving and we just need
some relatively minor adjustments to bring it into line with what is
expected of a .Org international site.

Thanks for giving us the spirit! Really appreciate that :)

Thanks!

Stephen

--
Lucky HARYADI
Chief Technology Officer

Equnix Business Solutions, PT
Plaza Semanggi 9 Fl. Unit 9; Jakarta - Indonesia 12930

Equnix Business Solutions, Pte Ltd
8 Eu Tong Sen Street, #14-94 THE CENTRAL - Singapore 059818

Caution: The information enclosed in this email (and any attachments) may be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message. Unless it is made by the authorized person, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of PT Equnix Business Solutions.