Re: Red Hat Policies Regarding PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Red Hat Policies Regarding PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Michael Convey <smconvey@gmail.com> writes:
Due to policies for Red Hat family distributions, the PostgreSQL
installation will not be enabled for automatic start or have the database
initialized automatically.

To which policies are they referring? Licensing, security, or other?​

Packaging policy: daemons shall not run merely by virtue of having been
installed.  Otherwise, if you install a boatload of software without
checking each package, you'd have a boatload of probably-unwanted and
possibly-incorrectly-configured daemons running.  Which is a performance
problem and likely a security hazard too.

It's a good policy IMO (though I used to work there so no doubt I've just
drunk too much Red Hat koolaid).

Seems reasonable. In fact somewhat better than current KDE as in e.g. Debian "Jessie", which embeds a copy of MySQL whether the the user wants to use it or not.

Ubuntu 15 Desktop enables mysqld by default.  In fact, it doesn't seem to hook up with systemd in any obvious way to disable autostart.

--Scott

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk