Re: incremental dumps - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Luca Ferrari
Subject Re: incremental dumps
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM,  <hamann.w@t-online.de> wrote:

> thanks for the hint - this is probably one of the things to do.
> I have something else in mind, but at present I just suspect that this might happen:
> when I modify data and select _without an ordering_, I am pretty sure to get the data
> in a different sequence than before. So I wonder whethet forcing the dump to honor
> a particular ordering (if that is at all possible) would also reduce the size of dumps ... or the
> time diff takes to produce them

May I ask what is the final purpose? Because if it is to take a backup
I guess this is not the right way to go, while if it is keeping (and
rebuilding) an history of data, than using a more specific approach
(like logging) could give you less headaches.

Luca