Re: Please add a link to [BRIN] physical block ranges of a table - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Steven Pousty
Subject Re: Please add a link to [BRIN] physical block ranges of a table
Date
List pgsql-docs

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:25 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 03:12:44PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> We have a glossary page as of Postgres 13[1]; since it's new, links to it
> have not yet percolated to the rest of the docs, but that should start
> happening in the pg14 cycle.
>
> You're welcome to submit a patch that adds the term you want to link as
> well as a patch that turns the text you want into a link to that term.
>
> A thing I would really like to do is turn the terms in the acronyms
> section into links to the glossary section, where those terms can be
> properly defined and where the links can appear.  For example now that
> we have the term "transactions per second" we could add it to acronyms.

Yes, this is a great direction to go in!

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

I like the direction as well as long as each of the items in the glossary has an anchor and you can link to it from the rest of the documents. The reader, if they are confused by the term, should be able to go get a quick definition without having to remember there is a glossary and then search for the term.

I think you actually said that but I want to confirm. If so then you would like me to:
1. Add the text " physical block range " to acronym page
2. Make it anchor so I can link to it directly
3. Add the definition, which can include links to external sites
4. Then turn the link on the original page to the anchor I created for Physical block range.

Is that the correct flow? Will this require me building all the docs on my machine?
Thanks
Steve