Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan Wright
Subject Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro
Date
List pgsql-www

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 10:35 AM Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 2022-01-04 at 11:13 -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> I defer to Devrim on if the PostgreSQL YUM Repo supports AlmaLinux. I
> did see some random Internet instructions that shows how to install
> packages from the PostgreSQL YUM repo onto AlmaLinux systems.

I build packages on RHEL 8 and then test on Rocky 8, like I used to
test on CentOS 8 in the past. I know that many people want to see Alma
Linux as a supported distro, but at some point I had to make a decision
which clone should be the "main" supported one -- and that's Rocky
Linux.

(I'm not going to start a discussion about who are behind two distros,
as this won't be a technical one, and also not related to this list).

I'm quite sure that packages will work on Alma Linux, but no intention
to test the packages on yet-another-clone.

Makes sense.  All of the clones are supposed to be binary compatible so testing across tons of them would be mostly a waste of time.

I'm happy to set up a build node on Alma and add it to the build farm if that helps everyone feel better about listing Alma as well.

-HTH

Regards,
--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Jonathan Wright
AlmaLinux Foundation
Mattermost: chat