Re: How to calculate how too much memory ram need a PostgreSQL Server? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gopi Setty
Subject Re: How to calculate how too much memory ram need a PostgreSQL Server?
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 1:22 PM DrakoRod <drakoflames@hotmail.com> wrote:
 Hi folks!!

I support a PostgreSQL database it grew from 100 to 300 GB in couple months,
I we need tuning all OS parameters (is a virtual enviroment). Currently the
configuration is the follow:

Virtual Machine
Ubuntu 18.04
12 CPUS
8 GB in RAM
400 in Disk
Clúster database size 320 GB

Some queries have times too differents, the same query sometimes it execute
in 8 10 seconds sometimes  in 12 15 minutes, many querys make joins between
40, 50 millions rows. I know some factors like  relation between entities
affect times, but in general I suspect the mainly problem si resources in
OS.

I suspect is a lack to memory ram but we need justify the change in OS RAM,
so, How to calculate how too much memory ram need a PostgreSQL Server? Too
need know how because the database size continue grows.

Best Regards
DrakoRod

-----
Dame un poco de fe, eso me bastará.