Re: BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10.
Date
In response to BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10.  (PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Thursday, July 25, 2024, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      18553
Logged by:          Yan Chen
Email address:      pinsaxy@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 16.3
Operating system:   Windows 10

The first step for customers using PostgreSQL is installation. However, due
to potential user permission issues with PostgreSQL, the installation always
fails at the database creation step. During the installation process, a
dialog box pops up saying: Problem running post-install step, Installation
may not complete correctly. Failed to start the database server. After
installation, the data directory is empty.

I believe that a dedicated software company should not ignore installation
issues. I am extremely angry about this and have registered an account
specifically to express my dissatisfaction with you!

Didn’t even know there was an issue until you tell us.  And still don’t know what that issue is because you have not provided sufficient details.  There are many ways to get community assistance with installation and debugging, though this bug report forum isn’t one of them, but maybe the third-party installation provider EDB will chime in with more helpful comments anyway.  In the meantime, if you’d like to do more than vent I’d suggest following the instructions on the installer/s website: https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/supported-open-source/postgresql/troubleshooting/

David J.