Re: Lack of detailed documentation - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Lack of detailed documentation
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 4:36 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
One thing that surprised me is that I couldn't find any well-known
name for what the * and / operators are doing; digging around on
the net and in some dusty old math textbooks didn't yield any exact
matches.  I ended up adding footnotes with the actual computations,
but I'm not very happy with that approach.  Surely Lockhart[1] got this
definition from someplace, though, and didn't invent it out of thin air.

I'd move the footnote indicator to:

Available for point[a], box, path, circle.
Available for point[b], box, path, circle.

As the footnote only applies to that specific left operand type.

Or maybe:

Available for box, path, and circle.  It is also defined for point [a] but it has no related physical meaning.

David J.