Re: Recursive Arrays 101 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Recursive Arrays 101
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 10:14 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 10/26/2015 06:48 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
Doesn't this thread demonstrate the advantage of GUI's??? I created a
database and table with pgAdmin III with no help at all.

At this point I would say sticking with pgAdmin is the best option.

​They both have their places.  It is usually quite difficult to automate and version control the manual work that goes into using command line tools.​

I then got a flurry of well-intentioned tips about the command-line
tool. I tried all of them. I tried them twice. I tried them upside down
and backwards. People then began complaining that I can't follow
directions. Like how many different ways are there to type in a command
and hit enter???

I think it was obvious a couple dozen posts ago that there's something
wrong with my PostgreSQL installation or with the command-line tool.

No it was not obvious, otherwise we would not have asked for more information.

​Most of us assumed some form of user-error as opposed to malfunctioning software...it usually takes detail and explanations to rule that out.  When you are using lesser-used (and unofficial) tools the relevant experience to be found on the official lists is likewise hampered.

​Without going through the entire thread I would have to say that this whole dynamic is a confluence of experienced users, novice users, and a text-medium
​gone wrong.​  Or it was just a bad day.  In any case as the requester taking a step back and framing things up will help others to provide better assistance.

David J.