Re: A couple of pg_dump questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: A couple of pg_dump questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 3:39 PM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

$ pg_dump --host=farawaysrvr -Fc $REMOTEDB > /local/disk/backups/$REMOTEDB.dump

Is the data compressed on the remote server (thus minimizing traffic on the wire), or locally?  (I'd test this myself, but the company has really strict firewall rules in place.)

The ​pg_dump client doesn't get any special treatment in terms of the amount of data being sent over the wire from the server.  It issues "COPY TO STDOUT" commands on the server and captures the results and, while packaging them up, performs any requested compression.​  To what extent the server compresses all its sent content I am unsure though it does some.

$ pg_dump --host=farawaysrvr -Fc -j4 $REMOTEDB > /local/disk/backups/$REMOTEDB.dump

Will parallel backups work if pg_dump is v9.6 and the remote system is v8.4?

​The last paragraph of the 9.6 pg_dump --jobs documentation covers pre-9.2 server dumps.

David J.