Re: improve predefined roles documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: improve predefined roles documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 1:19 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 04:04:03PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Looking at this again, how happy are you with the way you've got
> several roles per <varlistentry> instead of one for each? I realize
> that was probably part of the intent of the change, to move the data
> from below the table into the table, and I see the merit of that. But
> one of your other complaints was the entries in the table were
> unordered, and it's hard for them to really be ordered if you have
> groups like this, since you can't alphabetize, for example, unless you
> have just a single entry per <varlistentry>.

Yeah, my options were to either separate the roles or to weaken the
ordering, and I guess I felt like the weaker ordering was slightly less
bad.  The extra context in some of the groups seemed worth keeping, and
this probably isn't the only page of our docs that might require ctrl+f.
But I'll yield to the majority opinion here.

There are few enough that logical grouping instead of strict alphabetical makes sense.

v4 WFM

David J.