Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
TOn Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 05/09/2016 04:42 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 05/09/2016 04:32 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
>> On 05/09/2016 04:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> On 05/09/2016 04:19 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
>
>>> On further inspection:
>>>
>>> * postgres_fdw pushes down sorts, joins, UPDATEs and DELETEs, enhancing
>>> federated database support
>>>
>>> How about:
>>>
>>> * postgres_fdw now optimized for sorts, joins, UPDATEs and DELETEs,
>>> enhancing federated database support
>>>
>>> "pushes down" means pretty much nothing to the layman.
>>
>> Hmmm.  Not sure I agree.  "optimizes" is also pretty vague.  Optimizes
>> how?
>
> I agree that optimizes is vague but it at least insinuates a positive or
> performance based outcome. "Pushes down" means what?

Point, although we use the phrase a lot elsewhere.  Really "remote
execution" might be better, but we don't really use those words anywhere
else ...

​postgres_fdw now executes sorts, joins, updates, and deletes on the remote server.

Though sort/join seems to be a different class than update/delete; possibly warranting two sentences.

Enhanced federated database support via postgres_fdw: you can now execute updates and deletes on the remote server.  Furthermore, sorts and joins are now executed remotely, reducing data transfer and improving speed.

​Though, for me, "push down" is lot less cumbersome than "enhancing federated database support"

​The later sounds more geek than the former.

I could be a bit off as I haven't really delved into the feature.  But I suspect any inaccuracy would be a fair trade for simplicity in this non-technical document.

David J.