Re: Naming of the different stats systems / "stats collector" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Naming of the different stats systems / "stats collector"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 7:32 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
we need a descriptive term / shorthand that
describes the type of statistics we currently send to the stats collector.

"cumulative stats subsystem"?

I'm growing fond of "cumulative".  It is more precise (and restrictive) than "metric" but that is beneficial here so long as it is indeed true (which a quick skim of Table 28.2. Collected Statistics Views [1] leads me to believe it is).

I'd be concerned that subsystem implies a collection process in a manner similar to how you associated datastore with a physical file on disk.  But I'd pick subsystem over datastore here in any case.

David J.