Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 4:10 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 09:53:37AM +0300, Andrus wrote:
> Backup in created in Windows from Linux server using pg_receivewal and pg_basebackup .
> Can this backup used for PITR in Linux ?

No.  Physical copies need to be based on the same platform.  If you
wish to replicate a cluster without any platform, architecture or even
not-too-many major version constraints, there is also logical
replication available since v10.

Does the O/S that the client software runs on really affect this?  I would expect that you could store the offline files anywhere.  As long as the architecture your original server is on and the one you are restoring to are the same the restored server should work.  They are just bytes until a server interprets them, no?

David J.