Re: Why mention to Oracle ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Why mention to Oracle ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 20, 2024 at 5:37 AM Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br> wrote:
Why PostgreSQL DOCs needs to show or compare the Oracle way of doing things ?

I understand that on page Porting from Oracle PL/SQL is ok to mention Oracle, but there are other places where it's not needed. Or, if it's ok to mention, why not mention SQL Server or MySQL or any other ?

It would be a boon to the community if someone were to put together a web/wiki page or mini-app that details this kind of information and, if considered accurate and relevant enough by the community, link to that more globally while also remove the random and incomplete references of this nature from the main documentation.  As it stands the info is at least relevant, and its incompleteness doesn't cause enough grief, IMO, to warrant its outright removal absent there existing an alternative.

Bug Reporting Guidelines
Especially refrain from merely saying that “This is not what SQL says/Oracle does.”

I would agree that this admonishment be re-worded.  I suggest:

If referencing some external authority, like the SQL Standard or another relational database product, mention it, but also include the literal output values.

David J.