Re: query with regular expression - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: query with regular expression
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, January 3, 2019, Glenn Schultz <glenn@bondlab.io> wrote:
All,

I am writing a query to select * from where ~ '[regx]  an example of the sting that I am matching is below

FHLG16725

The first two alpha characters to match are FN, FH, GN any alpha characters between those and the numeric don't matter as the first two alpha + numeric will create a unique.

reading the docs I am pretty sure I need to use ~ for bracket expression

I tried '^[FN-FG-GN][0-9]' but does not seem to work.  I have to admit I am weak on regex - never quite seem to be able to get it through my coconut.

Yeah...that’s not even close...not exactly sure what it would match but it’s only two characters, one letter maybe and one number.  You seem to want capturing groups though so using the ~ operator isn’t going to work, you need to use the function.

Any help would be appreciated,
Glenn

~ ‘^(FN|FH|GN)[A-Z]*[0-9]+$’

David J.