Re: Upgrading 9.1.17 to which version? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Upgrading 9.1.17 to which version?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 9:36 AM <nigel.andersen@gmx.com> wrote:
Hi,

I've just inherited an ancient install of 9.1.17 after our tech guy left, on what turns out to be a rapidly dying server and being a total newb to PostgreSQL (and not much more advanced on Linux) I'm a little stuck on the way ahead.

I've managed to secure a decent new server for a new install of PostgreSQL which runs CentOS 7.6 (Minimal). CentOS 7.6's standard PostgreSQL package seems to be 9.2.24 which is obviously no longer supported so probably doesn't get us much further ahead in the short term.

Any advice on where to go?

Get a second machine, set it up to be as identical to the existing machine as you can - aside from it not being near death - and migrate "production" to it.

Then on the machine described above install v10 and whatever else you need for staging/testing and then once everything checks out migrate the production database to the new machine and point production resources to it.

Lastly, but first, consider finding an experienced professional to evaluate you exact current circumstances and execute the above - or whatever they recommend.  The first item warrants doing that at the least.  You can delay deciding on how to approach the second option until after your production environment is stable.

David J.