Re: warning about console code page on starting psql - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David Johnston
Subject Re: warning about console code page on starting psql
Date
List pgsql-novice
Please send all replies to the list and either inline or bottom post.

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014, Scott Robertson <stumpednomore@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks David, I am starting to understand the console is what they used
to call a dos prompt, the little black window where psql appears.

Correct.

As you say, the font change had no effect on the Windows command prompt
console that I open from the Windows start menu. However, the font
change did persist in psql. Each time I reopen psql, it is now
automatically in Lucida Console font.

Must be some memorized state being saved by Windows and the means by which you are launching psql.

It seems I should be able to get to C:\> from the same (psql) console,
but don't know how, or how to get back to psql if I did. And don't know
if there's any reason to.

It sounds like you're saying that I should type this command in the psql
console each time I open it. In which case, I'd have to get to the C:\>
in order to do it, since it's not a psql command.

I don't know psql is launched on windows (or, specifically, how you are launching it) so cannot answer that particular question.  Using "start->run" you can type "cmd" then in the resulting console change the codepage before manually running "psql"

Shortcut properties can be explored if indeed that is what is being used to launch psql.

If your are in psql already what happens when you type "\q" ?

However, returning to my original post, I have already determined that
Windows is set to 1252 as (?) instructed by pg documentation, and is
still giving the same error. Is there a windows configuration file I
should edit or...???

You don't change the Windows codepage - you change the console to match whatever Windows is using.

David J.