Re: Column type changed "spontanously"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Column type changed "spontanously"?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, May 9, 2019, Chuck Martin <clmartin@theombudsman.com> wrote:
I have several columns that were created as "timestamp without time zone", but I changed them in 2014 to "timestamp with time zone". Recently, when I got notified that times had suddenly changed, I checked and found the columns had reverted to "timestamp without time zone." This seems impossible, yet it seems to have happened. Any ideas on what could cause this? My application has the privileges to do this, as it changed the data type to support time zones. But there is no code that could change it back not to support time zones.

No clue

The database in on

"PostgreSQL 9.3.1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-3), 64-bit"

Given the issues with the early 9.3 releases running 9.3.1 is a extremely unwise decision.  Beyond the unwise-ness of not keeping up with minor releases generally.

What other information would help solve this?

Log files containing DDL commands

 David J.