Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 5:03 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

I think we put it in the PG 11 release notes so people who used Postgres
previously would know this item is improved, but for new folks, it will
just work if they try it, but we don't want to encourage them to try it.

And why do we care about informing people those people of this undocumented behavior? It's not like we want to encourage them to use it either.

I stand by my conviction that a release note entry for a user-visible feature requires having documented said feature in the main documentation - and vice-versa.

David J.