Re: SELECT INTO and ON COMMIT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: SELECT INTO and ON COMMIT
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 05:29:36PM -0600, Yves Dorfsman wrote:

> Is there any way to add an ON COMMIT clause to a SELECT INTO TEMP TABLE?

Well CREATE TABLE has a ON COMMIT { PRESERVE ROWS | DELETE ROWS | DROP }
clause, but I don't see it in SELECT INTO, so it seems you have to
create the temp table using CREATE TABLE, then INSERT ... SELECT.

​From the documentation of SELECT INTO

"​
The PostgreSQL usage of SELECT INTO to represent table creation is historical. It is best to use CREATE TABLE AS for this purpose in new code.
​"​

​Which effectively means consider the feature deprecated.  Especially since CREATE TABLE is standard conforming and SELECT INTO is not.

Given this I'm not sure why we bothered to add "UNLOGGED" to SELECT INTO back in 9.1 ...

David J.