Fwd: Logging on without prompt for password - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David G. Johnston
Subject Fwd: Logging on without prompt for password
Date
List pgsql-admin
OP decided to stop sending messages to the list....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Logging on without prompt for password
To: "Rossi, Maria" <maria.rossi@jackson.com>

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Rossi, Maria <maria.rossi@jackson.com> wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.  Am relatively new to postgres and its not much used in our shop, hence my difficulty.

But was I using a Unix socket?   I thought I was using host.    The name did not start with a ‘/’,  that’s why am thinking ‘host’.

​Can you please bottom-post (or inline) like the rest of us​.

You said you were trying this:

/usr/pgsql-9.3/bin/pg_dumpall" -U bmcap01 -s -x

Since you do not specify a host here it uses the Unix-socket.  The socket also has a port so saying "-p XXXX" doesn't change the how.  Once you added "-h 127..." it then choose the TCP/IP protocol.

Since your pg_hba.conf file section you showed only defines trust for "host" connections on 127... they didn't match you connection until you added "-h"

The overloaded usage of "socket" and "port" and "host" here makes this area ripe for confusion among the uninitiated.

David J.