Re: Some qualms with the current description of RegExp s,n,w modes. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Some qualms with the current description of RegExp s,n,w modes.
Date
List pgsql-docs

Or just "newline-sensitive matching" ... does "full" add anything?

​And since I'm nit-picking anyway - the word "sensitive" does nothing for me.  Simply "newline-matching" would be sufficient, ideally.  i.e., Do ". [^]" and "^$" match the newline character, or not.

[w] anchor newline-matching
[n] dot/inverse-bracket newline-matching
[s] newline-matching

These are precise, what-oriented, names compared to:

[w] record mode
[n] multi-line mode
[s] single-line mode

which are more descriptive, use-oriented, names.

Use of these label sets is not mutually exclusive...

David J.