Re: Another user complaint regarding visibility of pg_catalog data - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Another user complaint regarding visibility of pg_catalog data
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wednesday, November 8, 2023, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

When people ask my "why?", I tend to answer "why not?".  It is not a security
problem, in my opinion.  Every user is allowed to know that I have a table
"purchase" with a column "credit_card_nr".  As long as the permissions are set
correctly, that is no problem.  Any attempt to hide that information is at best
"security by obscurity".

The typical answer is some variant of trade secrets.  Though wanting to store private info in a comment has some merit too.

David J.