Re: TIL: In pg_dump, beware the combo of "-Fd" and "-Z" - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: TIL: In pg_dump, beware the combo of "-Fd" and "-Z"
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tuesday, January 19, 2021, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

For a project using 9.6, I have this command backing up a database:
So, for the 12 project, I copied it over, removing the "0", since I want these backups compressed.

The versions in use doesn’t seem pertinent to the observation - this behavior hasn’t changed (at least in the docs).

Since the -Z default is "6"

It is?  Where do you see this?

 I assumed that would compress the backup.  It didn't, acting instead like "-Z0".  Removing "-Z" made it compress.

This surprised me, and is very counter-intuitive.  A bug?

That we accept a -Z parameter without a number without complaint would be a bug given the documentation doesn’t indicate the number as being optional.  That “-Z” and “-Z 0” are equivalent makes sense if one allows “-Z”.

David J.