Re: index question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: index question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 8:16 AM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 7:27 PM, drum.lucas@gmail.com <drum.lucas@gmail.com> wrote:

​Repeating the query to improve the self-containment aspect of the email would have been appreciated.

if possible please have a look on the explain analyze results:

What else can I do?

The indexes I created is:
- CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY ix_inode_segments_notes_clientids2 ON gorfs.inode_segments USING btree ("full_path");

​the only condition that could even potentially use this index​ is:

s.full_path ~ '/userfiles/account/[0-9]+/[a-z]+/[0-9]+'

My knowledge is limited in this area, and the documentation covers this specific dynamic only minimally, but for certain attempting to perform an un-anchored regexp match using a btree index is impossible.

These leaves to avenues to explore.

1) See if a start-of-string anchor will make the btree index usable
2) Use the pg_trgm contrib module

- CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY ix_inodes_checksum_st_size ON gorfs.inodes USING btree ("checksum_md5","st_size");
This one was used.​

​IMO you are leaving too much infomation encoded in the full_path.  I'd personally setup triggers to parse out the components on insert/update into fields and then index those fields.  In fact I'd probably use some form of inheritance or other one-to-one relationship here.

I guess it is documented, I just needed to look a bit more.

​"""
The optimizer can also use a B-tree index for queries involving the pattern matching operators LIKE and ~ if the pattern is a constant and is anchored to the beginning of the string — for example, col LIKE 'foo%' or col ~ '^foo', but not col LIKE '%bar'. However, if your database does not use the C locale you will need to create the index with a special operator class to support indexing of pattern-matching queries; see Section 11.9 below. It is also possible to use B-tree indexes for ILIKE and ~*, but only if the pattern starts with non-alphabetic characters, i.e., characters that are not affected by upper/lower case conversion.