Re: Most efficient way of querying M 'related' tables where N out of M may contain the key - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Most efficient way of querying M 'related' tables where N out of M may contain the key
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:03 PM, Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@gmail.com> wrote:
Pretty bad subject description... but let me try to explain.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the most efficient way to query data from multiple tables using a foreign key.

​SELECT [...]
FROM (SELECT reference_id, [...] FROM table_where_referenced_id_is_a_pk WHERE reference_id EXISTS/IN/JOIN)​

​src
​LEFT JOIN type1 USING (reference_id)
LEFT JOIN type2 USING (reference_id)
[...]

Or consider whether PostgreSQL Inheritance would work - though basically its a friendly API over the "UNION ALL" query you proposed.

David J.