Re: pgsql: Add documentation for the JIT feature. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: pgsql: Add documentation for the JIT feature.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, March 29, 2018, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2018-03-29 13:26:31 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> Also, in a way, you could argue that v10 already did "compilation of
> expressions".  It didn't compile them to machine language, true, but
> it translated them into a form which is faster to execute, and which
> is at least arguably a form of bytecode.  It's not going to be clear,
> even to an expert, that "compilation of expressions" means something
> other than that, but if you say JIT, then all of a sudden people know
> what we're talking about.
>
> I agree that JIT is jargon, but it's pretty commonly-used jargon.

Precisely this. I'm very strongly against just saying "expression
compilation", it's just too imprecise. As Robert mentions it could refer
to what we do in v10, it could refer to ahead of time compilation of PL
functions, and it doesn't include compiling tuple deforming.  Nor will
it describe compiling sorting, copy or whatnot.

I'm very open however to replacing JITing with JIT compiling and smilar
substitutions.

FWIW "JIT expression compilation" is comprehensible and precise to me.

David J.