Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Sabino Mullane
Subject Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date
Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
Afaict, there's a significant part of our current community who feel the same way (and I'm pretty sure every sub-30 year old person who
newly joins the community would feel the exact same way too).

Those young-uns are also the same group who hold their nose when coding in C, and are always clamoring for rewriting Postgres in Rust. And before that, C++. And next year, some other popular language that is clearly better and more popular than C.

And I agree with Robbert that Python seems like the best choice for this other language, given its current popularity level. But as I said
before, I'm open to other languages as well.

Despite my previous posts, I am open to other languages too, including Python, but the onus is really on the new language promoters to prove that the very large amount of time and trouble is worth it, and worth it for language X.

Cheers,
Greg