Thank you: an anti-question (or a Pg love letter) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steve Midgley
Subject Thank you: an anti-question (or a Pg love letter)
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

I used to participate on this list awhile back (2008?). I migrated off to other stuff, but I'm back doing some Pg work recently. I don't have a question, but I wanted to share my experiences, since I think the core members of this community don't get thanked enough.

Today I had a burly (for me) problem involving transforming some text into some json fields for ~1M rows. Running with middleware doing the schema transforms I was getting maybe 100 rows per second. Ugh. I could go back to the original couchdb project, but double ugh. So I re-wrote with native Postgres SQL:
update raw_documents set
identity = json_extract_path(raw_data::json, 'identity'::text),
keys = json_extract_path(raw_data::json, 'keys'::text),
payload_schema = json_extract_path(raw_data::json, 'payload_schema'::text)
I don't even know how many rows per second b/c it came back in less than 5 minutes - maybe 3k rows per second?

I just wanted to write to say thank you to everyone who builds, supports and participates in the Postgres community. I'm done dinking around with different tool chains. If I have to persist something again, I'm doing it with Postgres, I don't care if it's json, xml, cols/rows or blobs. If I can't put save it to the filesystem, it's going in Pg. :)

Per the subject, this is an "anti-question" -- just sharing on Friday afternoon that Postgres is working perfectly - just as it should: fast, reliable, easy, conformant. Have a nice weekend and thank you!

Steve