Re: date with month and year - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Torres
Subject Re: date with month and year
Date
List pgsql-general
Sorry, forgot to told you what I'm trying, I have climate data and want to obtain mean temperature and total precipitation and that sort of things per month and year. Think date_trunc is a good solution, but any other advice would be very welcome.

(I need to read more about time zones, I'm new at using postgresql)

Thank you,
Daniel

You really shouldn't use WITHOUT TIME ZONE.

I'd like to know more about this. Can you say why? Are there any articles you'd recommend? I'm fond of normalizing all times to UTC and only presenting them in a time zone when I know the current "perspective". I've written about that approach in a Rails context here:

http://illuminatedcomputing.com/posts/2014/04/timezones/

I find that this helps me to ignore time zones in most parts of my application and cut down on my timezone-related bugs.

Thanks!

Paul