Re: Examples of Large Datasets on Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Don Parris
Subject Re: Examples of Large Datasets on Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Don,

> Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I realize I'm preaching among
> evangelists on this list, but maybe some of the folks here know someone who
> might be willing to talk?

A few off the top of my head:

<snip>

I don't know that anyone has petabytes on vanilla PostgreSQL; we don't
do well at that scale.  GreenPlum, Aster, etc. yes, but not mainstream
Postgres.  However, nobody has petabytes on mainstream Oracle either.

--

Josh,

Thanks for the listing.  That gives me something to be able to discuss in class, at least.  I don't suppose you could help me get in contact with any of these companies?  Or maybe if I just drop a line on the general list, someone might take interest?

I saw Szymon's reply also, and agree it might be a good thing to promote what PostgreSQL is really capable of, as there does seem to be quite a bit of doubt (which could be a competitive advantage in the eyes of some folks).

Regards,
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Facility Services Coordinator, Free Software Advocate