Re: Simple SQL INSERT to avoid duplication failed: why? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Simple SQL INSERT to avoid duplication failed: why?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Carlo Stonebanks
<stonec.register@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> [...]
programshave the right to write to the tables other than the one in question.

If this is more of OLAP type machine and adjusting logs is not
practical, I would consider staging the records to be input into a
pre-processing table.  Then something periodically scoops the records
up and moves them to the 'real' table while purging duplicates.  the
preproc table can record the client ip and backend pid -- that way we
can catch the culprit (which is almost certainly not what the client
thinks it is).

Another less invasive way to do that is to simply have the 'before'
trigger log the operation to a (i'd make it unlogged) 'log' table that
records the insert operation and who did it (backend pid, client ip,
etc) with the time.

merlin