Re: High SYS CPU - need advise - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: High SYS CPU - need advise
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM, rahul143 <rk204885@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm seeking help in diagnosing / figuring out the issue that we have with
> our DB server:
>
> Under some (relatively non-heavy) load: 300...400 TPS, every 10-30 seconds
> server drops into high cpu system usage (90%+ SYSTEM across all CPUs - it's
> pure SYS cpu, i.e. it's not io wait, not irq, not user). Postgresql is
> taking 10-15% at the same time. Those periods would last from few seconds,
> to minutes or until Postgresql is restarted. Needless to say that system is
> barely responsive, with load average hitting over 100. We have mostly select
> statements (joins across few tables), using indexes and resulting in a small
> number of records returned. Should number of requests per second coming drop
> a bit, server does not fall into those HIGH-SYS-CPU periods. It all seems
> like postgres runs out of some resources or fighting for some locks and that
> causing kernel to go into la-la land trying to manage it.
>

> So far we've checked:
> - disk and nic delays / errors / utilization
> - WAL files (created rarely)
> - tables are vacuumed OK. periods of high SYS not tied to vacuum process.
> - kernel resources utilization (sufficient FS handles, shared MEM/SEM, VM)
> - increased log level, but nothing suspicious/different (to me) is reported
> there during periods of high sys-cpu
> - ran pgbench (could not reproduce the issue, even though it was producing
> over 40,000 TPS for prolonged period of time)
>
> Basically, our symptoms are exactly as was reported here over a year ago
> (though for postgres 8.3, we ran 9.1):
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2011-10/msg00998.php
>
> I will be grateful for any ideas helping to resolve or diagnose this
> problem.

Didn't we just discuss this exact problem on the identically named
thread?  http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/High-SYS-CPU-need-advise-td5732045.html

If you're the same poster, it's good to reference the thread and any
conclusions made in order to save everyone's time.  As at happens, I
have been working an angle that may help solve this problem.  Are you
willing/able to run patched postgres and what's your tolerance for
risk?

merlin