Re: init script or procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: init script or procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> . This is not task for server,
>>
>> I disagree.  Other databases have them (see
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326598.aspx), and they are
>> highly used and useful.
>
> other databases has own integrated connection pooling
>
> I am not absolutely against - but we need a integrated pool before

not to argue the point, but connection pooling is only one reason of
many why you would want a logon trigger, and integrated connection
pooling is not a prerequisite for them being implemented IMO.  Login
triggers are useful any time the client code is not completely under
your control, for example when logging in with psql/pgadmin or any
time really when the actionable item is required from the servers'
point of view.

merlin