Re: Row estimates off by two orders of magnitude with hstore - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Row estimates off by two orders of magnitude with hstore
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Patrick Krecker <patrick@judicata.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone --
>
> I had an issue the other day where a relatively simple query went from
> taking about 1 minute to execute to taking 19 hours. It seems that the
> planner chooses to use a materialize sometimes [1] and not other times
> [2]. I think the issue is that the row count estimate for the result
> of the condition "type_id = 23 and ref.attributes ? 'reference'" is
> about 10k rows, but the actual result is 4624280. It seems the
> estimate varies slightly over time, and if it drops low enough then
> the planner decides to materialize the result of the bitmap heap scan
> and the query takes forever.
>
> As an exercise, I tried removing the clause "ref.attributes ?
> 'reference'" and the estimates are very accurate [3].

This is a fundamental issue with using 'database in a box' datatypes
like hstore and jsonb.  They are opaque to the statistics gathering
system and so are unable to give reasonable estimates beyond broad
assumptions.  Speaking generally, the workarounds are too:

*) disable particular plan choices for this query
(materialize/nestloop are common culprits)

*) create btree indexes around specific extraction clauses

*) refactor some of the query into set returning function with a
custom ROWS clause

*) try alternate indexing strategy such as jsonb/jsquery

*) move out of hstore and into more standard relational strucure

none of the above may be ideal in your particular case.

merlin