Re: Is drop/restore trigger transactional? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Is drop/restore trigger transactional?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 04:15 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>
>> IF current_user = 'bulk_writer' THEN
>>    return new;
>> END IF;
>> <expensive stuff>
>
> ... or re-create the trigger with a `WHEN` clause (only available in newer
> Pg versions, see CREATE TRIGGER) that excludes the migrated customer ID.
> You'd have to do it in a new tx to avoid locking the table for ages though.

yeah --- and, locking aside, I'd advise you not to do that anyways:
try and keep one block of code that enforces all the rules properly.
also, good deployment practices (especially in cases of security
sensitive environments) should have good firewalls between production
services and developer introduced code.

merlin